Search This Blog

Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Party!!!!!


After thinking and planning and sewing and cutting and gluing and baking (yes, I said baking), Cate's 1st Birthday Party finally came together!!!!  Even though she will have no memory of it, she will have photos!!!
We had a great group of family and friends over for a luncheon to celebrate our sweet girl's 1st year! We served mini chicken salad sandwiches, mini flower shaped PB & J and ham & cheese sandwiches, pasta salad, veggie cups, fruit as well as other various dips, snacks and goodies. 
I made cake pops (that's where the baking comes in) - it was a bad, bad experience!  However, much to my surprise, several guests seem to genuinely like them - including adults!
I left the rest of the baking to my friend Valere of Dream Cakes by Valere.  She did the beautiful and yummy cupcakes and Cate's Smash Cake. 
















There was also a Baby Bar for our younger guests.
Some of Cate's favorites were served:
Strawberry Melts, Peach-Mango Puffs, Animal Crackers


Cheerio & Fruit loop necklaces for looking pretty/handsome and just in case
you need a snack on the go!





The Beverage area:
Pink Lemonade and Herb-Infused Water



Coffee Area with more cupcakes!



~~~~~~~~~~~
Here is the Guest of Honor doing her hair before she makes
her grand entrance!


and posing with her Mimi


It's time to get the party started!!!!













~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before we opened presents, we showed a little video of photos and video clips of Cate over the year.  I asked my brother, David, a while back if he would sing a song I picked out to make the video with.  What I never told him, is what I really wanted was for him to write an original song.  But how do you ask someone to do something so personal?
A couple of days before the party he came over to give me a preview of the video.  What did my amazing brother do???? He wrote the most beautiful original song! I bawled my eyes out as I listed to it. It still makes me cry.  Here is the video and below are the lyrics.  It is written from Cate's point of view.  This song will be special to her for the rest of her life!

Under My Window

I love you when you talk to me
When you sing to me softly
I want to reply but just hesitate
My lips don't yet communicate
I can't wait for the conversations that we'll have

I'm looking out through the glass
And I see you standing in the grass
So I jump up to run and play
But my legs don't yet cooperate
I don't want to wait for all the races that we'll have

I wish it didn't take so long
To grow up big and strong
Just you wait and see, I'll make you proud of me
I guess I've got to get good until then
Because you just tucked me in
And kissed me under my window
I guess I can wait a while
Because you sure waited on me

Are you wearing your comfy clothes
And watching your TV shows
Do you know that I would appreciate
If I could stay up late
I just can't wait for all the fun that we'll have

I wish it didn't take so long
To grow up big and strong
Just you wait and see. I'll make you proud of me
I guess I've got it good until then
Because you just tucked me in
And kissed me under my window
I guess I can wait a little while
Because you sure waited on me

As I lay here in bed
Your love fills my head
And then I change my mind, I wish that I could stop time
You won't always tuck me in
One day I'll think back when
You kissed me under my window
I'll lay in my bed and smile
Thank you for waiting on me

                                                                 ~ David Vanston

(tissue anyone???)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Presents, presents, presents...



She really loved the cards!!



This photo kind of sums up her attitude toward the second half of the party...


She really wasn't sure about Barbie!




Not only was the Princess Cozy Coupe from Lovey and Beepaw her favorite, it turned out to be the parties entertainment!






Somehow, I actually almost forgot the cake!! By the time I remembered, Cate was worn out!  She wasn't really into eating the cake herself but got some enjoyment out of giving some to me!












And she's done folks!!!!






~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I wanted to say a special thank you to David for Cate's song! You'll never know how special it is to me, she and I will treasure it forever!
Thank you to my Mother, Jeanie for driving almost 3 hours and helping my culinary challenged self into the late night hours and then getting up early and starting again!!!
Thank you Jodee for helping with the Birthday banner!!! couldn't have done it without you!
Thank you Morgan and Chandler Graphics for the invitations, they were adorable!
Also I really appreciate the gorgeous beverage dispenser Nella!

No comments:

Post a Comment